[MacDV] Re: Formatting my hard drive

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Wed Dec 3 05:48:09 PST 2003

I would have to completely disagree...  For any kind of media work
which involves CONSTANT writing, deleting, rewriting to a disk, a
dedicated disk or partition will make everything run SOOO much smoother
as time goes on -- especially on OS X systems with their 500,000 tiny
files for the system and apps.  And what's the advantage of doing video
capture to a journalled file system?  Journalling is nice for regular
usage, but slows things down a bit -- if you have a super-fast G4 or a
G5, it's probably not a big problem, but I think even Apple recommends
against doing video capture to a journalled disk.  And what to do you
mean by "RAID protection" if you mean RAID 1 (mirrored), this is yet
another way to slow down the performance of your hard drives -- the
same data has to be written TWICE (once to each disk).  RAID 0 is
actually the way to go for fast performance, but cuts your data
integrity down for each disk you ad to the RAID set (the more disks in
a RAID 0 array, the more chance you have of losing data due to a disk
failure).  If you're working with video and your drive craps out, you
just have to re-capture the video (keep copies of the project files on
a separate drive if you're worried about drive failure).  About
organization -- what's wrong with that?  If it helps you work better,
then do it.

Another 2 cents.

- Mark