[MacDV] Re: Formatting my hard drive

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Wed Dec 3 15:49:36 PST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 8:28 AM, Mark M. Florida wrote:

> People who do heavy Photoshop work (huge files that hit the scratch
> disk a lot) should also think about creating an entirely separate
> "scratch" partition to use exclusively as a Photoshop scratch disk -
> between 4 and 8 GB, depending on how big your files are -- it REALLY
> speeds up scratch disk usage to not have to compete with the
> gazillions of system and application files that reside on the startup
> disk.

I don't understand why you believe these system and application files
are somehow magically "not competing" with the scratch files just by
moving them into a separate partition.  Could you explain?   The
slowest part of disk access is head movement, followed by rotational
latency.  Moving things about on the same platter does nothing to
minimize either, and may conceivably make them both worse, no matter
how many partitions you have on one disk.

You would have to move the files into a separate disk running under a
separate controller on a separate I/O bus to truly accomplish some
performance improvement.

Try a benchmark of editing with everything in one partition vs. a
separate partition.  You may surprise yourself.
Partitioning originally had two main uses: 1.  to prevent the system
stopping when /tmp (or some other resource) filled up, and 2. to make
backups easier.  It was never a performance enhancing tool.
Fragmentation has not been a performance problem on modern filesystems
for at least a decade.

Partition all you like, but don't kid yourself its doing anything for
performance.

    Peter