[MacDV] Re: More than 90 minutes

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Tue Dec 9 10:28:56 PST 2003

On Dec 4, 2003, at 11:14 AM, Preston wrote:

>> It said there was not enough room on the disk.
>

> Instead of thinking DVD disk, think Hard Drive disk. Toast needs room
> on your internal HD to encode your project before it burns it to your
> Blank DVD media. Make more room on your HD or get an external FW
> drive. Just give your project plenty of space and you should be fine.

I just gave it another try (video length is 1:33:51), and get the same
message :

"There's not enough free space on this disc: 2358902 sectors (4.5 GB)
are needed, 2298496 sectors (4.4 GB) are available."

There's over 25 GB free on my internal (startup + applications) disk,
and over 30 GB free on the Firewire drive containing the iMovie
project. I even tried selecting "Standard" video quality instead of
"High" as someone else has suggested.

Any other ideas? I'm wondering if the "real" cutoff isn't somewhere
between the 91 minutes that someone else got to work and the almost 94
minutes that I have. Just doing a little quick math, 2358902
sectors/5631 seconds = 418.9 sectors of disk required for every second
of video, thus the DVD (2298496 sectors) will hold ~91 min 27 sec of
video. Has anyone else successfully gotten Toast 6 to write a DVD
longer than this?

I guess its back to looking for other tools to do the encoding.

TIA

-Mike