[MacDV] Re: More than 90 minutes

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Tue Dec 9 11:49:06 PST 2003

On Dec 9, 2003, at 12:53 PM, Brent Radbourne wrote:

> You're getting too complicated.   Simply, the capacity of a blank dvd
> is 4.4 gig.

Which is how many minutes and seconds of video max?

I was just trying to be a little more precise. I don't know if that 4.4
GB is 4.36, 4.40 or 4.44 GB. That's the difference between 91 minutes
working (which someone else reported) and my 94 minutes not working.
The bottom line is that based on the descriptions in Toast 6, i thought
it should be able to fit any length of video on a DVD (within reason)
by changing the encoding settings. In reality, it seems to mean it will
change the encoding settings to use the entire 4.4 GB, as long as the
video isn't over 90 minutes (or 91 min 27 sec to be more precise).

Besides, if I have to trim it down, there's a big difference between
trimming 2.5 min and 4 and I don't want to have to keep going back to
Toast to try it every time I shave off a few seconds.

-Mike