[MacDV] chapter markers in iDVD

Ronald Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Thu Dec 11 13:08:37 PST 2003

Rebecca,

Yes, it's very easy to create and export chapter markers from FCP 3.
On the timeline and without any of the clips selected, simply position
the time pointer on the timeline where you want a chapter marker and
then push the "m" key twice.  The first push inserts a marker; the
second edits the marker by open a dialog box.  In the dialog box, click
on the "Make Chapter Marker" button (or whatever it says like that -- I
don't have FCP open at this moment) and then give the marker a name.
That's all there is to it, but when you export the movie, make sure you
include chapter markers.  This is set in the Save File dialog.  You can
bring more than 6 chapter markers into DVD.  If you have more than 6
chapters, iDVD will just make a second menu for the chapters, but
they'll all be accounted for in the menu navigation.  Typically, I
export with current settings (720 by 480 pixels, DV codec, etc.) WITH
the chapter markers included and let the DVD authoring software do the
MPEG-2 encoding, build, and burn.

iDVD is very good in it's own right, but designed to have limits that
you bump up against often so that you will be motivated to buy the pro
version.  I have DVD Studio Pro 2.0.  It's wonderful (MacWorld gives it
4 mice, I think it's even better than that) and not subject to any
limits like iDVD.  The older version of DVDSP was less than friendly.
The 2.0 version is like iDVD on steroids!  It provides template themes
like DVD but is fully customizable.  In the next version, I'd like to
see more typography control for the text in headings, sub-titles, and
buttons, however.

Ron Woodland