iMovie 3 and bad-quality JPEGs in final result

hawkgx at planetkc.com hawkgx at planetkc.com
Fri Dec 12 07:12:26 PST 2003

Sorry if the subject is mis-leading. Wasn't sure how to title this post:

A friend and I are both creating videos in iMovie 3.03. His is a slideshow
of numerous JPEGs from
a Canon Digital Rebel, with cross dissolves between each image.  After he
completed it in iMovie,
he went to "Create iDVD project" and sent it to iDVD 3.01.  When we viewed
the DVD on an Apple
Cinema Display, we noticed that the stills looked horrible.  Basically,
they look like low-resolution
preview images. However, when you watch closely, the images look nice &
sharp DURING the
transition phases of the image (both at the beginning & end of the photo).
During the time the
stills alone appear, they look jagged & very low-quality.

We're thinking that it's because the stills themselves have not been
rendered by iMovie (whereas
the transitions, obviously, are rendered portions of the video).  We know
that if you have the Ken
Burns effect checked before importing JPEGs, the stills begin rendering
once they
pop into the shelf.  However, all our JPEGs were imported without the Burns
effect selected.

Our big question is:  now that the iMovies have been completed (ie all the
titles & cross-dissolves
in place), how do we go about rendering all the digital stills in order to
get them to appear high-
quality in the final iDVD-created disc? Do we have to remove all the
transitions, apply the Burns
effect to each still image in  order to make iMovie render them, then
re-apply all the transitions?
Sounds like a huge pain in the butt to me.
Thanks,
Randy

P.S. Sorry for the chopped up email, it's a Mail2Web thing.