[MacDV] Re: pal or ntsc for dvd

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Mon Dec 15 06:16:49 PST 2003

On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 09:09  AM, thomas fritscher wrote:

>> From: Peter van der Linden <pvdl at afu.com>
>> Subject: [MacDV] Re: pal or ntsc for dvd
>> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:19:08 -0800
>>
>> The video signal stored on a DVD platter is the same all over the
> world.
>> The DVD **player** contains circuits to read that one signal and
>> convert it into the appropriate national TV signal standards.  So you
>> just create a DVD, and it will play anywhere.

Anywhere that it is coded by region to play. This prevents the import
of possibly cheaper discs.
The coding is on the disc and in the machine. Thus some discs and
machines are "region free" and will play international discs.

>> Note that this is different from the video signal stored on a
> videotape
>> - the signal on video tape is stored in a way that is different for
>> each national tv broadcast protocol.  Why does tape have this
> drawback?
>>   Probably because it is an older technology, or because worldwide
>> region compatibility has no benefit for the content providers.

Tape has this drawback because it is analog.
The TV standards that it must adhere to are politically and perversely
motivated but even so there are multi national decks . They just cost
more to do the conversion themelves.