[MacDV] Re: iMovie 3 and bad-quality JPEGs in final result

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Mon Dec 15 12:02:24 PST 2003

On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 11:38  AM, sb wrote:

> I'm just curious as to why you use iMovie at all?
>
> You seem pretty comfortable with FCP, so it shouldn't be that hard to
> customize your fav transition in FCP and then apply it to all the
> photos at
> once. Save it as a fav and use it over and over again. Of course you
> do have
> to either export your album or hunt a little for the photos to import
> into
> FCP.

Well, one I do a different transition for every picture. On a montage
with motin effects tho' I stick to dissolves. The other thing is I sort
of have figured out an optimum time for the pics to be on screenand
redoing the math every time s frutrating, so if you just have  standard
length but it doesn't fir the music it can be hard to find fade points
in the music or to play with every picture even with the all forward
arrow thingy. So instead it's just one big hunk in FCP and I can match
it to the music with one speed control if I can't find a fade point or
it doesn't go long or shirt enough. I sometimes do tem in FCP if I want
sojmehting more tailored and the client is paying rather than my daily
flat fee/

> One difference between the two programs pertaining to stills is that
> iMovie
> resizes everything to 720x480 (though it's displayed at 640x480) while
> FCP
> keeps the original resolution.
really negligible in the final product which is good.

> That's why you can do really great looking "pan and scans" on high rez
> stills on FCP, and when you use the "ken burns" effect in iMovie it's
> only
> so so.

Shove a really high rez big digital photo into iMovie and you really
get some latitude with Ken Burns,

> Regards,
>
>  sb

Same