[MacDV] What to buy?

Owen Schmidt oschmidt at att.net
Mon Dec 15 13:38:11 PST 2003

> Hello all,
> We are wanting to buy a Mac-based video system but don't have a lot of
> money. We are also confused about cameras and what will be compatible with
> Mac. Here are our questions.
> 1. We are considering the Sony camcorders, either TRV-22 or TRV-250. Neither
> of which will play Hi-8 tapes. How do we get our former Hi-8 footage into
> the Mac?
Buy one of the Sony Digital8 models, which will read the analog Hi8 tapes as
well as read/write in DV format to the same tapes.  The Sony DCR-TRV350 with
20x Optical/700x Digital Zoom should run less than $500.

> 2. What level of Mac and operating system do we need to handle these cameras
> and Final Cut Pro 4.0? Will a G-4 suffice?
Minimum system requirements for Final Cut Pro 4 is given at Apple's Web
site:
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs.html

> 3. If we don't go with Final Cut Pro (due to money), will iMovie handle the
> Sony camcorders OK?
Yes.  I use this combination without adverse incident.  It works the same
with an older analog Hi8 tape as with a tape that was recorded on the same
camcorder.  Simply plug the FireWire cable into the Sony camcorder and the
Mac, and iMovie will automatically recognize and control the camera.

oschmidt at att.net
Monday, December 15, 2003