[MacDV] Re: pal or ntsc for dvd

Charlie Reyes otomed at skyinet.net
Mon Dec 15 16:06:51 PST 2003

>> The video signal stored on a DVD platter is the same all over the
>> world. The DVD **player** contains circuits to read that one signal
>> and  convert it into the appropriate national TV signal standards.
>> So you  just create a DVD, and it will play anywhere.
>
>The above statement is contrary to my experience and to my
>understanding of video encoding.  I can say with certainty that many
>DVDs purchased in Europe by our language professors will not play in
>the majority of our DVD players.  They will play in the two DVD
>players specifically purchased to play PAL DVDs.  Most of the boxes
>for the DVDs that we buy are marked either "PAL", or else they are
>marked "NTSC."  Some are not marked at all, but even the unmarked
>ones will not play in our standard players, if they are PAL disks.
>
>It sounds like I should get an Apex player.
>
>Derek

I thought NTSC (29.97 fps) and PAL (25 fps) refer to the way TV sets scan
each picture (at half the frequency of the electricity) and has to do with
AC characteristics unique to each country they are generated in: 100V 58 Hz
(Japan), 110V 59 Hz - 120 Volts 60 Hz = NTSC, 240 Volts 50 Hertz = PAL.

DVD discs have the same content except that players interpret the signals
differently so they can playback to TV sets specific for each country.

Apex (China) players meet different TV and electric power standards
(100-240 V 50-60 Hz) so they can be marketed in any part of the world
without modifications. They are known by different name tags: Orange,
Firewire, NextBase, ProMax  etc. and are region-free (plays any region
DVD).

Charlie
in Region III