[MacDV] What to buy?

ShirleyK ShirleyKat at cox.net
Mon Dec 15 19:49:02 PST 2003

Others gave mostly advice on Macs and cameras. I wanted to mention that
if you are just starting out, it would be a good idea to practice with
the free software that comes with a new Mac. I think all of them have
iMovie and there is a lot you can do with that. If you eventually grow
out of that (including trying the things Erica suggests in her book,
iMovie Solutions,) then you can move up - either to Final Cut Express
or Final Cut Pro. It doesn't sound like you are ready for that kind of
complexity yet though.

If you want to deliver anything on DVD, be sure to get a Mac with a
super drive.

And to those who didn't think much of the Sony Digital-8 solution, were
your comments based on your experiences with these cameras? This is the
first I've heard anyone say that Digital-8 was not as good as mini-DV.
Obviously, Digital-8 is Sony proprietary and they might want to stick
with mini-DV for that reason. But there is certainly no difference
between the resolution that is related to the kind of tape you use. The
DV standard can be written to a Hi-8 tape or to a mini-DV, but it is
the same standard. If there's a difference in the quality, it would be
based on the quality of the lens and camera, not the tape on which you
write.

Shirley