[MacDV] Straight info about DVDs, and TV standards

Gerhard Kuhn gerhardk at mac.com
Mon Dec 15 20:24:16 PST 2003

 From how I understand this you are going at this backward.  You record
your video either to PAL or NTSC standard.  You compress this video
into a mpeg2 file which will contain the video information that you
originally recorded (frames per second, size and so on).  MPEG2 is not
a video format but rather a compression standard.  Now to watch it your
TV will be compliant to the local video standard but the DVD player may
be capable of playing one format and outputting the other allowing you
to watch both PAL or NTSC video if however your player can only read
one or the other format you are out of luck.  The region coding only
comes into this for copyright protection, eg. you may have different
distribution dates for Europe and North America, have different
ownership of distribution channels ect..  Boils down to money and who
gets it.

On the bright side computers don't care about NTSC or PAL so you can
always watch either format although region coding is still a issue.

Gerhard
suspice at hay.net