[MacDV] Re: Digitaal 8 vs Mini DV

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Tue Dec 16 08:55:29 PST 2003

Yes.  It's definitely the imaging hardware differences of the cameras, not
simply the tape format.

The data is the same after the imaging stage -- 1s and 0s -- just on
different kinds of tape.  If you transferred the miniDV footage to D8 via
FireWire first, it would still look the same, but be on different tape.

I have a Digital8, and I love it for home video usage -- I also have old
Video8 and Hi8 tapes that I can play back with my D8 camera.  That, plus the
lower price between my D8 and comparable miniDV cameras (back when I bought
mine in 2001) pushed me towards the D8.

2 cents.

- Mark