[MacDV] Re: express vs pro

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Dec 16 21:16:05 PST 2003

> > I'm wondering if I might actually want FCP :^(  Though I think I really need
> > to master FCE and DVDSP before I start thinking about that!
>
> So why not buy FCE and use iDVD. Then when you have mastered both upgrade to
> the more sophisticated and expensive FCP and DVD SP? I have been using iDVD
> for most of my projects and use DVD SP probably 10% of the time.

I bought DVDSP last weekend, that would be one reason :^)  I've taken a look
at iDVD, it doesn't offer the features I want/need.  I like the Anamorphic
Widescreen support, and greater control over encodes that DVDSP offers.  As
for FCE, I bought it when I got my G5 2x2 as I didn't want to pass up the
chance to get it for $100.  This was before I knew if iMovie would work for
me or not, I did up one test project with iMovie and iDVD, I might use the
two for some projects, but overall I think I'll be using FCE and DVDSP.

I've just about finished editing the video I shot of last Christmas in 16:9,
and will hopefully start learning how to use DVDSP in the next couple days.
My goal is to have the finished product done by the 25th.

			Zane