MiniDV vs Digital-8

Jan E. Schotsman J_E_SCHOTSMAN at compuserve.com
Sun Dec 21 06:04:01 PST 2003

Message text written by David Crump

"I did some looking around, and this is from Sony's website describing
their Digital-8 Cameras:
"Digital8 Format 500 lines of horizontal resolution"
 Wouldn't that just be the vertical pixel count? (i.e. If I set my monitor
to 800x600 I will have 600 lines of horizontal resolution?)"

No, it loosely corresponds to the *horizontal* pixel count after you
multiply by aspect ratio. In case of 4:3 aspect ratio you get 2000/3=666
lines.
If resolution is really 460 then this becomes 613 lines.
This definition is intended to make the 'horizontal resolution' comparable
to the vertical resolution (related to number of scan lines) in case of
square pixels.

Not that vertical resolution is by definition equal to the number of scan
lines... Depending on camera technology some cross talk between video scan
lines may exist, also anti-aliasing is imperfect and much complicated by
interlace.

Jan.