[MacDV] Re: More than 90 minutes update

Laine lee llee at moss.utsa.edu
Wed Dec 24 08:01:44 PST 2003

Yes, this seems to be a fairly complicated way to do it, but I’ve done
it dozens of times to make DVDs from strings of TV shows I’ve recorded
for my little boy. He’s 3 and doesn’t have enough mastery of the remote
control yet to fast forward through the commercials on video tape, so I
just take ‘em out in iMovie and make the DVDs. I’ve done it with movies
up to 130 minutes in length. Any time the total of the sources is over
about 108 minutes, I just re-encode with Transcoder, although now I
understand there is a way to get iDVD to encode at a lower bit rate
that the automatic one.

The reason I’m responding now is that my article has been updated to
include an Applescript that will handle one of the more tedious steps
(removing 5 bytes from the end of an iDVD mpeg file so that it can be
successfully appended using the mpgtx utility). Once you follow the
procedure a couple of times,  I hope you’ll see that the project is
really quite manageable, especially as an alternative to buying a more
complete DVD authoring program than iDVD.

<http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/idvd.html>

Laine