Burning DVD's - 3 Macs at once

R B Williams brucewll at comcast.net
Thu Dec 25 04:08:15 PST 2003

Merry Christmas to All !

There are some details I'd love to get a handle on as I
approach the end of a long editing project. It is living in
iMovie 3 and will be right at an hour in length.

1) I've seen postings about the point where the iMovie
program downgrades quality in order to fit on a DVD (an
hour?)  I don't want to hit that wall. How do I know where
that moment is? Length, size, what???

2) I can burn DVD's to internal superdrives in 3 different
Macs. They are not currently networked, though they could
be. I simply move files with an external hard drive. When
the iMovie project is finished, how should I save that onto
each Mac in order to produce DVD copies? Can Toast Titanium
do the work, or do I need to install iDVD 3 in each system?
One of the 3 is OS 9.2.2 only.

3) My habit has been to burn a rewritable disc to view and
check for any issues. After all is right, I make a DVD-r
version. That means encoding the project twice. Has anyone
tried making a disc image from an rw that will then burn
DVD-r's ?

4) Finally, is anyone using a DVD making solution faster
than Toast Titanium? It has been very reliable and I don't
want to give that up, but the more you need, the slower it
seems . . . . .

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.