[MacDV] Burning DVD's - 3 Macs at once

Fabian Ius Fabian_Ius at edu.yorku.ca
Thu Dec 25 08:06:22 PST 2003

R B Williams <brucewll at comcast.net> writes:
>1) I've seen postings about the point where the iMovie
>program downgrades quality in order to fit on a DVD (an
>hour?)  I don't want to hit that wall. How do I know where
>that moment is? Length, size, what???
iDVD can create a "60 minute or less" movie encoded at 8Mbps.
Over 60 and up to 90 minutes, iDVD encodes at 5 Mbps.

Both, in my opinion, are pretty good quality.

>2) I can burn DVD's to internal superdrives in 3 different
>Macs. They are not currently networked, though they could
>be. I simply move files with an external hard drive. When
>the iMovie project is finished, how should I save that onto
>each Mac in order to produce DVD copies? Can Toast Titanium
>do the work, or do I need to install iDVD 3 in each system?
>One of the 3 is OS 9.2.2 only.

Once a DVD is burned in iDVD (I burn them onto DVD-RWs), I copy the
Audio_TS and the Video_TS folders to the hard drive, launch Toast, and
create a new DVD-R.

>3) My habit has been to burn a rewritable disc to view and
>check for any issues. After all is right, I make a DVD-r
>version.
That is what I do as well.

>That means encoding the project twice.
There's no need to do that.

>Has anyonetried making a disc image from an rw that will then burn
>DVD-r's ?
See above.

>4) Finally, is anyone using a DVD making solution faster
>than Toast Titanium? It has been very reliable and I don't
>want to give that up, but the more you need, the slower it
>seems . . .

Toast is very convenient for making copies of DVDs.