[MacDV] Re: Copying DVD-R's that I made

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Mon Dec 29 21:06:20 PST 2003

On Dec 29, 2003, at 9:02 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>> On the Mac, I like to use Toast--although you can copy with
>> just Mac OS X. Or you can pay a replicator to duplicate it.
>
> So I can just treat it as normal data?

All digital data is "normal data" and can be treated as such.  On a
personal computer it exists in files or memory, and can be manipulated
(copied, inspected, changed) using all the tools for files and memory.
Data on DVD platters are no exception.  Look at a dvd in the Finder,
and you will see the files.

In the case of DVDs, the MPAA tries to build in levels of protection to
frustrate the consumer who has bought the content, but these
restrictions (primarily a hidden key accessible only by the device
driver) are of limited effectiveness.

      Peter