[MacDV] Re: imovie storage

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Tue Dec 30 19:44:13 PST 2003

On Tuesday, December 30, 2003, at 10:30  PM, Daniel Beck wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2003, at 12:14 PM, James Asherman wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, December 30, 2003, at 09:20  PM, Daniel Beck wrote:
>
>>> My suggestion would be to consider getting Final Cut. Then you won't
>>> need to store all those media files. You would have have your
>>> project files and would be able to re-capture whatever media you
>>> need off your original tapes. Sure Final Cut costs much, but so do
>>> hard disks. And with books by Michael Rubin, it's not nearly as hard
>>> to learn as you might think.
>
>> too much precious time and tape drive thrashing.
>> My solution?
>>  80 gig cuda  boot drive. 40 gigs sitting open.
>>  80 gig capture drive. Cleaned after every job. also a cuda
>> 80 gig storage drive on second bus under DVD drive for deep storage.
>
> You must not do as much editing as I do then. It doesn't take so much
> time nor tape thrashing, because how often do you go back and edit a
> finished product? The disk space you save is more than worth it. And
> when you do need to edit a finished project, you can have Final Cut do
> the capturing while you're sleeping or watching TV or just away from
> the computer.
>
> Of course, this depends on your needs.
>
> Daniel

I turn out like two hours of finished product every day and turn over
about 50 gigs every day.
Final cut can capture by itself with or without logs. Sadly , every
time I walk away, tape glitches happen. Nevertheless with a good tape I
can capture the whole hour or whatever and make my decisions in final
cut.
Making logs and batch capturing 2-3 hours of tape, makes your tape
machine stop, start , search,pause, and is in my mind not preferable to
just pressing play and then making decisions off the harddrive.
  Now if one were doing a feature film or some other LARGE scale
enterprise that may in fact, need further revision, then ok.