iDVD discs & playback problems

Randy Clark hawkgx at planetkc.com
Tue Dec 30 20:52:46 PST 2003

 From: Peter van der Linden <pvdl at afu.com>
> Subject: [MacDV]
> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:02:36 -0800
>
> On Dec 29, 2003, at 9:02 PM, Randy Clark wrote:
>
>> Could the playback issues be related to the fact that I can't copy
>> those particular files from the DVD?
>
> Yes.   This is exactly the problem.
>
> Try gently washing the disk in lightly-soaped water, and completely
> drying it with a lint-free cloth.  This will remove grease, dirt, hair
> and other surface contaminants that are throwing off both the places
> you have tried to read this disk.

I would think contaminants are unlikely. These discs were handled less than
3 times each, always by me (besides the fact that 4 separate DVDs had
problems). Actually, 8 separate DVDs had problems. Four of one project, and
four of a different project.

> If the disk still won't play, and still gives an error message in the
> Finder, then you have an error on the original platter, and your only
> recourse is to recreate those files from original source material.
> I.e. burn a new dvd.

Each DVD was burned thru iDVD, not copied from the original first-burn disc.
Now, if the original encoding or .VOB files from iDVD were suspect, it would
make sense that discs #2 thru #4 would have the same issues.

> The Finder I/O error makes it clear that the problem is nothing to do
> with bitrate.

Yes, that would seem to make sense as well.  I've thought of just mounting
the DVD on the iMac's drive, and just using Toast 6 to burn a direct copy of
it. However, I would assume Toast would run into the same type errors as I
experience trying to copy the files in the Finder.

--
Randy Clark
hawkgx at planetkc.com
Kansas City