[MacDV] Re: imovie storage

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Wed Dec 31 09:07:56 PST 2003

On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 10:38  AM, James Asherman wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 07:01  AM, Daniel Beck wrote:
>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> I realized after one of your posts that I had misunderstood what you
>> were doing. I agree with you that logging and capturing in the
>> traditional manner can be tedious. Hopefully what I've tried to
>> explain below makes sense. It won't suit everyone's needs, but for
>> those who do a lot of work in iMovie, I think FCP ends up being a
>> more economical venture (though not for those who just do the
>> occasional iMovie project though).

>>>   Now other than saving all my footage on my deep storage drive
>>> (separate from capture/scratch drive) and saving the project file,
>>> (what I might do with an "important " job)
>>> Please explain how I can get the equivalent repeatability(of
>>> logging) with capture now and my space hog methods, and still wipe
>>> the media out when  think i'm done(as I do).
>>> This may be something I have missed or overlooked and could be
>>> useful.
>>
>> Hmm. I'm not sure what you mean by equivalent repeatability, but
>> here's what I meant. Using Capture Now means that you don't spend any
>> time looking through the footage and logging it. You only log the
>> reel, so that if you do need to recapture, you will know which tape
>> to fetch (assuming, as I can with you, that you've properly labeled
>> the tape). Then, while that project remains active, you are using a
>> lot of HD space. But that's why you have a large HD for that purpose.
>> Then, when you are finished with your project and have exported your
>> final product, you can dump your media files off that HD. But, by
>> keeping the project file, if you should later wish to go back and
>> edit, you can simply open the file. FCP will then ask you to either
>> reconnect the media (which you can't because you've deleted it), or
>> to recapture. At which point, you will be asked for said tapes, which
>> you then let FCP capture again. No logging involved (save the reel
>> number) and minimal wear and tear on your tapes.
>>
>> By using this method, you can avoid both needless logging, and you
>> can avoid the need for much deep storage space since tapes are still
>> much cheaper than HD space.
>>
>> Not sure this is what you need, but I think it would more than do for
>> the original poster in this thread.
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> Yes that is pretty much what I had in mind.
> I'm beat and I am in the Middle of editing and making DVD's.
> (standalone philips yuck)
> I don't multitask as well as I'd hoped.

Let me explain: I do weddings. I get tapes from myriad camera people.
Some can be captured in whole and DVstart/stop detected. Some can't.
Some have timecode breaks (what do these guys do?) which spooks me from
walking away. Some are analog. Some have so many glitches that it stops
every ten seconds.
Since I will (hopefully) never see the tapes again, at the end of the
day I just delete everything and clean up. So in essence I am doing hte
same project over and over.
Even if something goes wrong and I do get the tapes back there is no
particualr project file to refer to. Only Title files get saved in case
of typos.
  Only "important" or profitable corporate type  work is given new
project names and the kind of repeatability that we are talking about.
May seem stupid . But it preserves my settings and favorite
effects.(speaking of which have you noticed that Apple can't decide
from version to version where certain things belong?) Gets the job done
quick. I read a lot during capture, or take a shower (bathroom in
office) or watch TV on the Timm.
Also to save time the phillips standalone is used to make firewire
DVDRW's which the client  (company) then copies and distrbutes
accordingly. Saves time over encoding..
It is all a time thing.
Jim