[MacDV] Re: The 20inch LCD Conspiracy

SLarsonIH at aol.com SLarsonIH at aol.com
Sat Feb 1 12:04:15 PST 2003

Really? So, what IS the common meaning for 'require'. Mine comes from
something called a dictionary. Does your meaning of 'require', come from
those who misuse the english language? My car requires gas. It wants premium.
My appliances require electricity. They want it to be 110-120 volts. I
require air. I want steak. And just because someone says they require
something they actually want, does not in fact mean they require it.

Oh, you're right there. I'd assume the person who told me that, didn't know
english. Bob Smith may want, like, prefer, love, etc. Nike, shoes, but unless
they are required (can't enter competition via the rules) then he does not
require the Nike shoes wheteher or not he misuses the english language.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why lawyers are kept busy, and so much
communication confusion in the world. I see it all the time. It's sad,
really. Remember, that just because someone calls a car a truck, DOES NOT
make it so.

STeve

<< Well you learned the wrong thing then, because that is NOT the common
meaning in English.

For example, if you were told that famous high jumper Bob Smith
requires Nike shoes to make his jump, you would not assume that he
cannot jump at all without them, simply that he cannot, in some way,
jump to specification. >>