[MacDV] New to the list

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 2 07:29:35 PST 2003

At 7:10 AM -0700 2/2/03, michael Vogt wrote:
>Hi all
>I'm new to your list but I'm on a few of of the Lowend list so some
>may know me .
>But I'm a farmer in Kansas.
>I had a 7500 that I had been doing some iMovie stuff with  I sold it
>and got G4 sawtooth AGP then I bought a DVD-R drive and I have a
>Sony Digital 8 Camcorder , what want to do is move my Home movies to
>DVDs with out any editing. Is there a  simple way to do that. or do
>you need to go through iMovie.

The easiest way to transfer home movies to DVD without
editing involves the use of a standalone DVD recorder.
You can find some models of these for about $350-$400.
I personally use a Pioneer DMR-E20. Be aware that DVD-R
(and DVD+R) are not as compatible as normal DVD discs and
may not play back on all DVD players. Retain your old
videos for archival purposes and consider transferring
them to miniDV tapes for long-term storage. DVD-R's (and
DVD+Rs) are probably not a good long-term solution.

-- Erica