how to get VHS video into computer for editing?

Brenda Pedersen brpedersen at sasktel.net
Sun Feb 2 16:00:03 PST 2003

On 2/2/03, Kunga wrote:

> Forget about VHS any more. The cheapest new or used MiniDV camera will
> record radically better video. You can use the DV camera to transcode
> your original VHS video into the DV format on your iBook. And you can
> record them to the DV format to preserve maximum "quality" of what you
> have in the obsolete and YOU WILL NEVER USE AGAIN VHS format.
>
> OK Brenda. Promise me that. Make buying a cheap DV camera your #1
> priority. Not Digital 8. Horror stories of Digital 8 eating tape.

OK - miniDV and used/new miniDV camcorder it is...!

So I get the 8mm film (and all 'keeper' VHS tapes as not using Digial 8....)
converted to miniDV. And purchase a miniDV camcorder.

The camcorder will hook up to computer via firewire and video is input for
editing. Then the edited video comes back out of the computer to a new
miniDV tape. Now how to I convert the miniDV to a format that my digitally
challenged family members can access?

Can a regular VCR play the miniDV tapes? Do they insert into a 'converter'
tape much the same as the JVC camcorder tapes do? And is there any way for a
miniDV camera to 'read' analog VHS format tapes? I see I have to do some
research on miniDV camcorders!

Thanks for your help and advice.

Brenda