[MacDV] iMovie3 on Clamshell iBook (Conspiracy?)

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Sun Feb 2 21:56:46 PST 2003

On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 11:36 PM, David Crump wrote:

> Anyone out there who's been using iMovie2 on a clamshell iBook?
> I've got the 466MHz G3 iBook SE and was very frustrated to see that
> iMovie3 will not work on my machine due to my 800x600 resolution
> limitation.  I guess it's upgrade to a new machine, or stick with
> iMovie2.  Any workarounds?

Yup, seems like the only "workaround" is to use the "required"
hardware... any G3 or G4 Mac that supports a screen resolution of
1024x768 or higher... A requirement which the "clamshell" iBook does
not meet.  And you know what sucks?  Don't these iBooks have video-out
capability?  Like you can connect an external monitor?  Oh wait, it
only supports "mirroring" the iBook display, which is limited to
800x600!  Doh!  So, even though the graphics chip in these things can
easily handle 1024x768 (and dual monitors), and even though the iBook
built-in screen is limited to 800x600 resolution, due to the
limitations Apple put on the VGA output, you can't connect an external
monitor and run it at a resolution higher than 800x600...  Why?
Because Apple didn't want these cute little iBooks to eat into any of
the (much more profitable) sales of the "Pro" laptops, which could run
in dual-display mode using the built-in LCD along with an external
monitor...  Like I said before... Apple is a *hardware* company, they
want you to buy hardware, and then buy more hardware in 2 years when
your perfectly good hardware is rendered obsolete by their software.
If iMovie 2 works, then just stick with it, and just to spite Apple,
RUN IT IN MAC OS 9!  HA!

Sounds like a conspiracy to me...  (see previous LONG post about this)
Time to switch to BeOS!

:-P

- Mark