[MacDV] Re: imovie 3 and VCD

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sun Feb 2 23:40:31 PST 2003

I want to thank Gordon and Mark for giving me so much of their time
tonight. I think Mark was the one with the real solution and then I
sort of faked it. I was greatly helped by having 3 Macs within about 5
feet of me. One worked to begin with. So had had a serious cheat sheet.
Mark was right about the bogus "Toast Video CD" files. I deleted a ton
of them. They were all over the place. Almost 30. What a mess. Backups
of my backups with spare backups just in case I lost my backups. ; ^ ).
You'd think I didn't have original CD-ROMs. Duh! So after deleting all
those random files, I just reinstalled upon 5.1.4 again and the result
is that the "Movie to Toast Video CD" export option works without the
timed out stop block.

It turns out that Apple has that capability built in iMovie 3 now. And
there is a replicable BUG in the WHERE dialog box that just precedes
the rendering. This is where 3 Macs come in extra handy. White December
2001 700 MHz Snow iMac CRT, 1999 B&W 450 MHz G3 PM, and 500 MHz G4
Cube. All three in at that WHERE dialog box exhibit a phantom graphics
interruption in the iMovie 3 window to the upper left of the WHERE box
as you drag the bottom horizontal bar left and right. Doing WHERE is
not really fully possible now. I would say we have to do where we
remember and then afterwards move the file where we really wanted it to
go. It's not clear who's fault this is. But off the top of my head I
would guess a little of both Roxio and Apple.

Anyway, my trial is over and thanks again. All 3 Macs can now perform
"Movie to Toast Video CD" with automatic Toast launch afterwards and on
to a VCD burn session. Hope anyone else who runs into this problem will
remember Gordon and Mark's solutions.

Thank you one and all. I love it when a plan comes together. ; ^ )