[MacDV] iMovie 3 & still photo issues

Gerhard Kuhn suspice at hay.net
Mon Feb 3 13:29:57 PST 2003

On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 04:15  PM, hawkgx at planetkc.com wrote:

> I've been watching a friend suffer through iMovie 3. Makes me glad I
> have
> not *upgraded* to it myself.  Here's a couple of issues/questions we
> have
> about it so far:
>
> 1) The Ken Burns Effect. Is there an easy way to make the iMovie
> application default to NOT applying the Burns effect to a still photo
> you've imported?
Yes, if you set the start and end point to the same spot and apply all
subsequent photos will use this as the default. i.e. keep the slider
all the way to the left for the start point, then all the way to the
left for the end point and then hit apply and no more automatic effect
> 2) On the subject of still photo rendering... we noticed each still
> photo
> begins rendering after it's imported.  Someone on the Apple discussion
> boards speculated that iMovie is creating a reference file of each
> still
> photo in order to deal with it more efficiently.  Anyone have the
> scoop on
> why iMovie is rendering each still photo as it is brought in?
The photo is no longer a jpeg but part of a dv stream that means 29.7
frames per second Info window.
> Clip Info, the file size went from approx. 120k to 17mb.  Also, after
> rendering we could see no way to change to the still clip's duration.
The longer the duration of your still the larger the file size because
each second of video is made up of 29.7 frames

> Any suggestions, complaints or comments about any or all of these
> issues is
> appreciated.
> Randy

> http://mail2web.com/ .