[MacDV] iMovie 3 & still photo issues

Scott Baldwin sbaldwin at san.rr.com
Mon Feb 3 20:16:18 PST 2003

To import still photos, it works better to put them first  into a
folder in iPhoto, and then use the photo button in iMovie.  Clicking on
this button immediately shows you the contents of iphoto, without
actually importing the still photos. You can access any folder in
iphoto.   You still can import photos to the "clips" window, as in the
previous version  but this is where you begin to have difficulties.
It gets messy.

By using the iphoto route you can set the duration of the photo and the
zoom effect  before you actually drag it to the clip viewer.  The zoom
effect is not the default setting when using this method (at least in
my system!).  Picture duration defaults to 3 secs.  If you change the
duration of any one picture, all the subsequent pictures have this
duration.

I agree though, I still would like to be able change the duration of a
photo after it is in the clip viewer.  Sometimes you want to play
around with this to get it right.

On my G4 dual 500 OS X.2.3,  I do not see the latency that others have
mentioned.  Transitions seem to render faster as well.

  When I upgraded my system software from 9.1 to 10.2, I installed a new
hard drive in my machine and did a fresh install of 10.2 on this drive.
  I seem to have far fewer problems with 10.2 and iapps then other
people on this list.  I think this fresh install might have made a
difference, or I'm very lucky.  The weekly sacrifices to Pele probably
help as well...........

Cheers,

Scott