Quips & Quibbles with iMovie 3 (long)

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Tue Feb 4 09:05:56 PST 2003

On 2/3/03 at 7:45 PM, Thubten Kunga <Kunga at FutureMedia.org> transmitted
the following electronic message:

>Geno,
>When you play a video, does the scratch bar location triangle with the
>time code on it roll smoothly with all the frame count displaying like
>iMovie 2 did? Mine stutters across although the movie is playing fine,
>that triangle with time code jumps several seconds at a time instead of
>flowing across frame by frame with all the numbers flying by in iMovie
>2. Let's start with this quirk that I think a lot of us are getting. Is
>your's smooth or jerky?

I'm not Geno, but I also installed from the CD and am not experiencing
any of the anomalous behavior cited in this thread.

In answer to your direct question, the playhead advances along the
scrubber bar with a smoothly flowing time-code, the display of which is
advancing about 6 frames at a time (about 5 increments per second). This
is on a 15" flat-panel iMac with 768MB of RAM and a lot of stuff going
on in the background (such as downloads off Usenet).

The fact that it isn't showing every frame's number is, I was told, an
artifact of 30 updates per second being too blurry to read, so they only
update the code display every few frames.

--Dennis Cohen
  iLife Bible (April/May 2003)
  iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD Bible
  MacOS X Bible