[MacDV] Formac Studio and imovie 3

Ric Perrott writerric at mac.com
Tue Feb 4 14:55:38 PST 2003

On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 03:33  PM, Len McGrandle wrote:

> Is anyone else here using an A/D converter with imovie 3?
>
> I have been unable to capture both audio and video successfully with
> my Formac Studio and imovie 3.  The audio is a totally garbled
> sputtering noise while the video is fine, no jerking.  Playback of
> previously recorded projects from imovie 2 work, but some of them have
> some background static not evident with imovie 2.  I am running imovie
> 2 and 3 from the same hard drive, with imovie 2 moved to a different
> folder, all in OS 10.2.3.  I have tried many different sound settings,
> all with the same effect.
>
> I tried the alternative of importing a file into imovie 3 saved from
> the software video player which comes with the Formac.  This works
> fine, but importing such a file takes a very long time.
>
> imovie 2 did not give me any problems like this, so I guess I will
> just not use 3.
>
> Len

Len,

I use the Formac converter and am experiencing the same glitches as you
are. I sent feedback to Apple and I think you should too.

The only workaround I've found is to place the garbled clip on the
timeline and choose "Extract Audio", then mute the audio that's tied to
the video's track by unchecking the box to the far right.

when you playback now the audio should be ok. I know this isn't optimal
because you lose one of your audio bands but it's what I've found.

Also I suppose you could use Quicktime Pro to re-merge the video and
audio together, but for me that was too much work. I've gone back to
iMovie 2.1.2 for all editing and I import the finished product into
iMovie3 to skip the "export to Quicktime" step so that i can move right
to iDVD.

Here's hoping that Apple ships a fix to this disaster of a program soon!