[MacDV] Re: Pioneer dvr-105 and IDVD

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Thu Feb 6 14:21:25 PST 2003

Warning about the ADS FireWire cases -- they don't support optical
drives by default (at least not DVD-RAM drives).

I had the intention to do the exact thing Jim Soriano mentioned in his
recent post -- I wanted to install a new Pioneer drive internally in my
G4/500 at work and put the factory DVD-RAM drive in an ADS FireWire
case.  It didn't work.  I returned the first ADS case because I thought
it was defective.  When I got the second one and it *still* didn't
work, I called ADS support and they basically said "yeah, those don't
work with optical drives unless you can flash the firmware from a PC",
of which there are none here (at work) with a FireWire card, and the
PCs that we *do* have are highly-used (can't get access to for
something like this anyway).  ADS offered for me to send it to them so
*they* could flash it, but then I would be stuck with it as an optical
drive (DVD-RAM) case, so I wouldn't be able to install a hard drive
later on if I wanted...  So now I have a Pioneer DVR-104 installed in
my G4/500, an empty ADS FireWire case, and an orphaned DVD-RAM drive...

Just a heads-up.  If you get an external case for your DVD-RAM drive,
talk to the *manufacturer* first to make sure it will work for your
application.

Kunga, how'd you "hack" your BW G3 case to support two 5-1/4" optical
drives?  I remember seeing some case mods for that somewhere on the
'net a while back, but I don't have that info any more.

- Mark