[MacDV] Re: Super VCDs

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sun Feb 9 13:10:19 PST 2003

ffmpegXv0.0.6f Installation and Operation Tutorial by Kunga part 1

I spent a lot of time getting this ffmpegXv0.0.6f working this morning.
Link to it is at the bottom of this message. I though I'd share how to
install it with everyone just in case you run into the problems I did.
It works beautifully if you get it configured correctly. That is the
trick.

The download that you get from the link below is not all you need to
download. You also must download from this link which activates an auto
download when you get there.
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mplayerosx/lastbinary.sit?download>
Unstuffit.

You mount (if it didn't auto mount) the ffmpegX_0.0.9f.dmg-link.dmg
disk image

I copied the entire disk image to my Applications—>Video Applications
Folder. Then put the last binary 090203 Folder in that new ffmpegX
folder as well.

Then you have to download the text file "mpeg2enc" which comes in as
"mpeg2enc.txt" from <http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/MacOS/>
(option-click the link and choose "Save link on the disk") Put it in
the ffmpegX folder too.

Then you have to run the ffmpegX engines installer where you press
locate buttons for "mpeg2enc.txt" first, then the other two which are
inside the last binary 090203 folder. Then press Install and watch the
Terminal program ask you for your password and hit return adn watch for
the words "Installation Successful".

Then you are ready for the easy part: Encoding your first SVCD file.
Launch ffmpegX0.0.6f and pull down at the bottom where it says "Quick
Presets" to "SVCD (NTSC)".

Then at the top press the "Open..." button and choose your iMovie 3
Full Quality DV Export file.
Then right under that press the "Save As..." button and give your SVCD
file a name.
Then Press the "Encode" button in the lower right corner of the
interface box.

Then watch and wait for ffmpegX0.0.6f to generate any number of files
that ultimately get recombined into one final .mpg file that is your
final MPEG2 movie ready for Toast.

You can play this file with Vic (someone please help with the URL for
Vic) or, if you have the $20 MPEG2 addition to QT6, QT Player will play
it as well.

Next step is to assemble several of these SVCD files in the brand new
1.1.1 (Feb 4.03) VCD Builder. <http://homepage.mac.com/johan/>

Then this gets burned with Toast in the Other—> Multitrack CD-ROM XA
format.

I got a 14.5 MB movie from a 159.5 MB Full Quality DV Export file with
my first test of the old 47 second iMovie Tutorial set of clips of
Matty and the Kids. Now that's effeciency. Extrapolated out it's about
20MB per minute or 35 minutes on a 700 MB CD-R/RW.

But the content of your video will result in different times because
it's a variable bit encoder. So speeches will be longer than an action
video with lots of changes.

End of Part One.