The CD hunt for VCDs

David Thrasher idave at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 11 15:09:23 PST 2003

I finally had success and found a CD that would play as a VCD in my friend's Sony DVD player. I bought a pack of Maxell Music CD-RWs and it finally worked. I did a little research on the subject of how Music CDs and Data CDs compare with each other and found out that Music CDs have a flag on them to tell stand-alone CD recorders that they are music CDs and that you are charged extra in order to pass along cash to the RIAA. I suspect that the recording surface is somewhat different from the other media I've tried so far and I plan to keep looking for CDs that will also work but may cost less. I'm about to try Maxell's Black CD-Rs and I think somebody on this list mentioned having success with the Verbatim brand. I work at a printing place and one of the jobs came in on one of these and the recording surface looks very similar to the CD-RW that I had luck with so I'm going to try it as soon as I can.

-Dave