[MacDV] Re: CDs to use for VCDs

John Leonard johnaura at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 11 23:05:24 PST 2003

> Sorry. but just because *you* happen to have an older machine that
> pre-dates the flagging in no way means that anyone here can simply
> purcahse data CDRs and record on them successfully in deck-based CD
> Recorder.
>
> Regardless, the first poster claimed there was absolutely no
> difference, I pointed out that there was in fact a difference.
>
> What I wrote is perfectly correct, unless you are being overly pedantic.

Your original post implied that _all_ CDs that are labelled as being for
audio were of the licensed variety and would not work in anything other than
a stand-alone CD burner. This is not the case.

If I go to my local record store, I'll have to search pretty hard for the
licence-paid CDs, whereas I can find plenty of ordinary CDs that are marked
as being for audio. They tend to be more expensive than data CDs, but in
many cases there _is_ no difference except for the packaging and the price.

Here in the UK, where we didn't sign up for the Athens agreement that
promoted the so-called consumer CD-R system using licence-paid discs, the
current generation of domestic stand-alone CD burners, at least from
Philips, do not require the licence-paid discs and will work perfectly well
with any high-quality CD-R and, in fact, with CD-RW disks as well. They cost
around $300, which is probably well within the financial capabilities of
many people on this list.

I'm sorry if you feel that I'm being pedantic or in some way threatening
your authority, but your categorical statement that what Kunga posted was
"absolutely false" failed to note the difference between the different types
of CD blanks and different types of CD recorder.

Regards.

John Leonard
Aura Sound Design Ltd.
23 Charlotte Road,