[MacDV] Toast and iDVD

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Thu Feb 13 03:13:45 PST 2003

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 01:56 AM, Tom Kirshbaum wrote:

> I'm really confused about Toast. I can't even find the answer on
> Roxio's web
> site.
>
> Can Toast burn an iMovie onto DVD, or is it necessary to go through
> iDVD
> first?

Yes, Toast can burn an iMovie onto DVD, but not in a manner that's
useful without some authoring program. For one thing, iMovie files
aren't compressed.

There's a workflow that goes:

1. digital video clips in (camera, analog-to-digital converter)
2. iMovie to arrange clips in correct order and edit them
3. author video, including compression
4. burn to disc

Toast can do 4
iMovie does 2
iDVD does 3

> If it can, then what are the advantages to having iDVD at all?

Want chapters? Want to include stills? Want something that plays in a
consumer DVD player?

--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite.