[MacDV] Extracting Audio from iMovie

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Thu Feb 13 13:03:56 PST 2003

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 05:12 AM, Steve Robertson wrote:

> Recently, I shot about 45 minutes of video, but it turned out that the
> audio was much more important than the accompanying talking head
> video. So I wanted to extract the audio from the iMovie clips and
> continue working with the audio only.

If you have quicktime pro, you can do it as follows:

Export as full-quality DV in Quicktime.

Open in Quicktime Pro, export to an audio-only format.

> I would eventually like to burn some audio CDs containing this 45
> minutes of audio. With the software I have, it seems like the best
> path would be to convert the audio from each clip to an MP3, move the
> MP3s into the iTunes library, and then use iTunes to burn the audio
> CDs.
>
> I found the instructions for "extracting audio" from an iMovie clip.
> but this creates a "document" that is not recognized by any other
> audio programs available to me. Do I need to export all the iMovie
> clips as a Quicktime movie, then use some other software (besides
> iMovie) to work with the audio? Is this something that's covered by
> Quicktime Pro?

Yes.

> This problem finally convinced me to pay the thirty bucks for
> Quicktime pro, so I may find my answer there. Just thought it wouldn't
> hurt to promote more discussion about the relationship between audio
> processing and iMovie.

Ditto - it's the only reason I bought Quicktime Pro myself.

--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite.