New video software

Scott Baldwin sbaldwin at san.rr.com
Thu Feb 13 13:41:00 PST 2003

Here is a new software application, that seems to fall somewhere
between iMovie and Final Cut Express in features and price.  It is
called Montage and is available here:

http://www.arboretum.com/

The price is $149.00.

I downloaded the demo, and on first look I like it.  It is a a lot more
versatile than iMovie, in particular in it's treatment of audio.
(Aboretum is a well established Mac audio product company)

You can lay out an infinite(!) number of video tracks and stills in one
window and cut, paste drag and connect  at will. some rudimentary video
editing is available.  The time line is much more sophisticated than
iMovie.

You can have an infinite number of audio tracks!  Basic audio editing
can be done.

It imports and exports in a much wider variety of formats than imovie.

The downside is that there is not as many transitions and effects
available yet as there is for imovie.  (and you have to pay for it!)

Take a look at the demo and see what you think.

Cheers,

Scott