[MacDV] Re: Extracting Audio from iMovie

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Thu Feb 13 15:26:02 PST 2003

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 02:25 PM, Steve Robertson wrote:

> On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 04:15  PM, Erica Sadun wrote:
>
>> It exports as an AIFF (at least I think so).
>> Most Mac sound editors will be able to play it.
>> In fact, iTunes should play it if you "Add to
>> Library" instead of "Import" the sound.
>>
> To wrap this subject up, I have successfully burned my audio only CD,
> and the simplest suggestion did the trick. When you "extract audio"
> from an iMovie clip, it is indeed an AIFF as Erica says (but using
> "Get Info" doesn't tell you this) and you can get it into iTunes by
> simply dragging the voice clip from your Media folder in your iMovie
> project to the Library window in iTunes. It retains the AIFF format in
> iTunes and makes a nice audio CD. I'm sure the methods involving
> export to Quicktime will work also, but it turns out this is not
> necessary in this situation.

OK, I'm gonna unwrap this subject up because I just tried it (with
iMovie3) and the frustrating thing is that all my audio was extracted
into *separate* files.

Now, in the case I tested it in, it was imported from Dazzle, so
naturally every 9-minutes-ish, there's a new clip. Is there any easy
way of making this one honking huge audio file rather than retaining
the arcane clip structure I didn't want in the first place?

Other than the method I'd been using before, which is QuickTime Pro.
--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite.