[MacDV] Re: Question about FireWire external HD

James Reed jreed at mn.rr.com
Thu Feb 13 18:59:08 PST 2003

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 08:10  PM, Thubten Kunga wrote:

> The drive is unnecessary. Just put a Crossover Ethernet cable between
> the two Macs. You can't do what you suppose. I don't know what would
> happen. But I'm pretty sure it won't be pretty. Don't try it.

> On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 05:36  PM, Eric Stauffer wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> If I take my firewire external hard drive and connect it to my
>> PowerBook and then use the second FW port in the external hard drive
>> and connect simultaneously to my iMac, what happens? Will both the PB
>> and the iMac motherboards go ballistic and even Steve Jobs will not
>> be able to recognize them after, or will I create a nice high speed
>> bridge in between my PB and my iMac?

Agree with Thubten, don't do it.  What you're talking about is setting
up your PB and iMac in Firewire target disk mode in order to set up a
"high speed bridge".  Apple specifically says to unplug all other
firewire devices before doing this.  Don't connect your external HD.
In order to connect two computers:

1. Turn off the target computer.
2.  Use a firewire cable to connect the target computer to the host
computer.  The host doesn't need to be turned off.
3.  Start up the target computer and immediately press and hold down
the T key until the firewire icon appears.  The HD of the target
computer should become available to the host computer and appear on the
desktop.
4.  Copy files.
5.  When finished eject the HD icon of the target computer like you'd
eject any firewire device.
6.  Power down the target computer.
7.  Unplug the firewire cable.

James