How to add lots of text in iMovie 3?

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Fri Feb 14 22:26:25 PST 2003

I'm currently using iMovie 3.0.1 to edit about an hour of old home
movies for recording to DVD with iDVD 3.

All of the original media has been edited. I would like to provide an
index to the movies on this DVD, to make it easier to find the record
of a particular event, trip, relative, etc.

Having no experience with iDVD at that point, my original idea was to
use the DVD chapter titles for this purpose, but it soon became
obvious that having more than a reel number and a date for each
chapter would be impractical.

My next thought was to create a short movie clip with scrolling text
that would provide the index, so the viewer could watch the index,
and then select the desired reel/date from chapter menus. I plan to
use the Projector theme, and loop the index movie in the preview
"screen" of the DVD menu (plus a button to play a full-size version
that would be more-readable). The scrolling index text would be
rendered over a timed clip from the actual movie.

But it appears that the Scrolling Block and similar Title effects are
limited to about 256 characters, and my index currently is about 2500
characters. I can cut that down some, but not enough to fit in one
block. I guess I could split the text into smaller pieces, and the
index movie into the same number of clips, and render a Scrolling
Block over each those clips, but that seems a little tedious, and
would probably look a little odd.

Is there a better way to accomplish what I want to do? I'd appreciate
any suggestions.

Thanks.
--
Gordon Alley  <*>