SCVD catch

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Sat Feb 15 17:35:22 PST 2003

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 09:41:36 -0600, David Thrasher <idave at earthlink.net> wrote:
>I've been trying to use some of the options available on RNC's Guide to
>SVCD on Mac (http://homepage.mac.com/rnc/) and have run into a catch.
>The MediaPipe application that many of the solutions rely on requires
>using Apple's Developer Tools, a CD that they said came with your Mac.
>Unfortunately no such CD came with my iMac (a slot loading CRT version)
>and checking the link for it
>(http://developer.apple.com/tools/macosxtools.html) it appears that you
>have to be signed up as a developer at at least $1500 for a membership
>to do the "free" download. Any advice or alternatives?

Did you look in the /Applications/Installers folder? When I got my
iMac G4 800 last February, the Developer Tools installer was in
there. Run that to install Developer Tools (the version that was
current when you got your Mac, anyway).

You can register as an online developer on the Apple Developer
Connection web site for free, which provides free access to most
downloads, including the Developer Tools. That $1500 deal is for
full-blown developers that want CD subscriptions, special deals on
hardware, Apple engineering assistance, etc., IIRC.

I believe that the Developer Tools CD does come with retail copies of
OS X, but not with new Macs (where it is on the hard disk as an
installer, as described above).
--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>