[MacDV] Re: Mobile Setup

David themixguy at mac.com
Tue Feb 18 10:39:38 PST 2003

Just so we're clear, when people recommend keeping video capture off
the internal drive, they are referring to the internal hard drive that
came with your computer that has your system software on it. You could
certainly install an additional IDE drive "internally" in an empty bay
of your tower and have good results. The point is, your internal drive
with the system software is typically fragmented and the computer must
refer to the drive sporadically, interrupting video capture. I've used
both additional IDE drives in the Mac and external Firewire drives with
iMovie and had good results. When using an external FW drive however, I
make sure to plug the drive into one FW connection on the Mac and my DV
camera into the other, NOT daisy-chaining the camera off of the hard
drive. Obviously, laptops don't have room for additional internal
drives...

-DC