[MacDV] Re: Mobile Setup

Daniel Beck danielbeck at mac.com
Tue Feb 18 16:28:44 PST 2003

Hi Erica,

On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 09:18 AM, Erica Sadun wrote:

>> Well, if you're not having trouble, then don't worry about it. But, I
>> have, and I have read in books by Michael Rubin,  and Michael Wohl
>> (and I believe Lisa Brenneis) that capturing to and exporting from
>> the OS disk/partition is asking for trouble.
>
> Really? Do you have a cite?

Not on me. I'm at work. I can take a look when I get home though.

> Because I've never had any trouble--and as a rule I avoid going over
> 1394 while capturing. I'd really like to know what they have to
> say. My gut instinct says that internal drives offer the best speed
> and my reading/experience suggests that a master second internal drive
> is always the best to write to.

Exactly. I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. As I remember they recommend not
capturing to the OS disk. Michael Rubin suggests partitioning if a
second drive is not available. However, I do believe they would
recommend capturing to a second internal over FireWire if available.
Maybe my understanding is a bit fuzzy, but I do think they (or at least
one of them) still suggested FireWire over the OS Disk.

> Perhaps those guys are referring to the issue that you never want to
> run iMovie in one partition and write to another on the same disk...
> (Too much overhead on the disk head leading to dropped frames).

Don't know what these guys have written about iMovie. I've only read
their FCP books.

Daniel
Daniel Beck
danielbeck at mac.com