Big hard drive for iBook video editing

Randy Wilson WilsonR at fonix.com
Tue Feb 18 17:17:25 PST 2003

My 600MHz iBook (white, 14.1") has a wimpy 20GB hard drive that's just
not cutting it anymore.  I need at least 40, and I'd like more like 80.
I've heard that I am limited to a 9.5mm height hard drive.  The ones
I've seen that I've seen include the IBM [now Hitachi] Travelstar 40GNX
5400rpm drive, and the Hitachi Travelstar 80GN 4200rpm drive.

Given that the 20GB hard drive in my iBook is 4200 rpm, I would guess
that this is sufficient for video editing most of the time.  However,
given that there have been a couple of times when the disk couldn't keep
up, I'm worried that this isn't true.  During those times, the disk was
almost full, so it certainly could have been highly fragmented and
hating it for swap space, but maybe 4200 is too close to the edge of
what is required.

So would 5400rpm make a significant difference in terms of avoiding
problems during video editing, or would more room actually be better for
that? Also, does anyone know where to actually buy a 80GN? I haven't
seen one for sale anywhere yet.  There's also a rumor of an 80GNX
5400rpm drive coming "first quarter 2003".  Sigh...there's always
something else.

All I want is a fast, huge-capacity, small-sized, reliable, quiet,
cool, inexpensive hard drive.  Is that so much to ask? :)