Re-Attaching Audio in iMovie 3

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 19 05:45:38 PST 2003

Here's a follow-up to my earlier question about extracting audio,
Purely by coincidence, my very next project also required the "extract
audio" command, but for a different reason. I had some old video of a
singer/songwriter performing nine songs in a row. Sort of an in-studio
concert. But apparently the audio recording level was set too low when
this VHS tape was made, because I had to turn the volume up so high
that I could also clearly hear the tape hiss.

I decided to import this video into iMovie and try to cure some of the
audio problems before burning to DVD. I broke the video up into a
separate clip for each song, extracted the audio from each clip (giving
me nine AIFF voice clips) and used Amadeus to amplify and denoise the
audio. Then I selected all the video clips and played them to verify
that my audio changes were reflected in the IMovie. So far, so good.

Then I gathered some still photos of this performer to experiment with
the ken burns effect. Problem! Inserting still photos pushed all the
video down the timeline by 5 seconds per photo, but the extracted audio
did not move with the video- thus making everything badly out of sync.

After searching for ways to re-anchor this extracted audio and finding
none, my first thought is to start over and do all my video editing
first- leaving the "extract audio" procedure till last. But it seems
there should be other solutions. Is there something here I'm missing?

Steve Robertson