[MacDV] DVD Media - Durabilty

Gerhard Kuhn suspice at hay.net
Thu Feb 20 12:13:21 PST 2003

There is concern with some folks as to the stability of the dyes but
the big reason not to archive on DVD is that you are storing files in a
highly compressed mp2 format.  If in the future you ever wanted to use
part of the material in another project you would be using lower
quality material.

Gerhard
On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 02:56  PM, Ian Tucker wrote:

> In the middle of last year I changed from SVHS tape to DVD as my
> preferred means of storing data, particularly movies.   I did this for
> several reasons, one in particular being that I believed I was moving
> to a more stable storage medium.   Since that time however,  I have
> seen an article in an English Mac. magazine which hinted DVD's are not
> a stable form of archiving and if I remember right, Erica alluded to
> the same thing in one of her postings.     The List has recently
> contained discussions on the merits of storing movie footage back to
> DV tape.
>
> What is the problem with DVD durability?     I realise a disc is prone
> to physical abuse in the wrong hands,  eg.  tried hiring a DVD from a
> library or a Video/DVD outlet ?   However,  I imagine the comments
> being made are deeper than that .   Is it to do with the organic dyes
> that Erica has  referred to in at least one of her postings?
>
> To date, I have only burnt around five , or six DVD's and these have
> been Apple brand.    If, in fact, DVD's are unstable, where do I go
> from here?   Surely saving movies back to DV tape, as mentioned above,
>  can only be a temporary thing and the intent there was to save the
> best quality data  for possible, additional editing some where in the
> not-to-distant future.
>
> Ian Tucker

> digest version.

> <http://www.macresq.com>