Lurking no more!

thommjunk at sympatico.ca thommjunk at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 20 13:01:48 PST 2003

Hi!

I've been lurking here for about six months, primarily because 1) I'm not that
knowledgeable; and 2) although I have an interest in DV, Ihaven't had the
hardware/software to get into.

Now I do (possibly!), so I need some help:

1) Although this is not directly DV-related, it does make a difference in my
case. I have a G4 AGP 450, 896 meg RAM. It currently has a 30-gig HD, and an 80-
gig. I just purchased (cheap!) another 80-gig drive. I want to replace the 30
with the 80, and use one of the 80's as my 'main drive' and the other as my
'capture' drive. So far, no problem. Except that my 30-gig drive has three
partitions (let's not get into a discussion of the dis/advantages of
partitioning!) - one for OS 9.2.2 (again, no discussion - I have a _need_ to
boot into OS 9 - Classic won't do - from time to time); one for OS X (10.2.4);
and the third for data. The 80-gig is also partitioned, but that doesn't have
to stay that way. What I want to do is as follows: take out the 80, put in the
new 80, put 3 partitions on it (OS 9, OS X, Data) and copy the three partitions
from the 30 to it - ALL the files - a carbon copy. Then, I want to take out the
30, put back in the old 80, boot from the new 80, and copy EVERYTHING from the
old 80 onto the Data partition of the new 80. I would then re-format the old 80
to use with DV.
The question is: how? What's the best way of making sure that I get EVERYTHING
from my old drives? Does CCC work on OS 9 drives? If not, is there an OS 9
equivalent?

2) I've removed the DVD-RAM drive that came factory-installed in the G4, and
put in a CD-RW drive (I need MUCH faster writing speed than the DVD-RAM
provided.) I just recently purchased an external La Cie D2 U&I DVD-RW drive (it
has both Firewire and USB 2.0 connections). It is the Pioneer 105/A05 drive in
a La Cie case.
Obviously, iDVD won't recognize the external DVD drive. Can I swap the CD-RW
and the DVD-RW? I'm pretty sure, based on what I've read here many times, that
putting the DVD internal wouldn't be a problem. But what about the CD-RW intot
he Firewire enclosure? Will it work? I don't particularly want to take a chance
on voiding my warranty of the La Cie by opening the case, only to find that the
CD-RW won't work!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have already learned so much in
general while lurking - I'm now hoping that I will find the same sort of help
for my particular problems!

Thanks!

Tim