SVCD Catch - update

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Feb 21 23:13:10 PST 2003

> From: David Thrasher <idave at earthlink.net>
>
> Something's got to work for making SVCDs or at least
> I can get to the point of being able to ask intelligent questions.

Hi,

I'm new to the list (hello!) and am primarily interested in making
SVCDs and VCDs with digital footage on Mac OS X. If for some strange
reason I'm on the wrong list (or there's a better one for this purpose,
I haven't got a superdrive so no DVDs for me) please point me in the
right direction, thanks.

To Mr. Thrasher, I am able to make "simple" SVCDs without all the
developer tools/MediaPipe stuff. Here's what I do:

1. Make/gather a batch of MPEG-2 files (mostly music videos, that's my
interest).

2. Modify the multi-item SVCD xml script I found on RNC's site
(specifically here: http://homepage.mac.com/rnc/xml.html) by simply
adding the filenames in the appropriate places (I'm no expert on XML,
but it seems fairly straightforward to me).

3. Use ffmpegX with preset for SVCD (NTSC) to create a set of .img
files.

4. Set Toast Titanium to burn a CD XA disc, add .img files in order
(ignore the other files), burn.

Of course, I haven't figured out how to do real menus or anything, but
this works great for "select track by number" SVCD discs.

_Chas_

"Here is the thing you will learn from really using an OS X Macintosh,
and must somehow accept on faith if that's what it takes to get you to
Switch: Apple makes design decisions based on a sincere desire to make
your life better." -- Glenn McDonald