iDVD3 w/ external drive... G3 vs G4

KathyMac! Mac4Music at MusiCareOnline.org
Sat Feb 22 13:01:59 PST 2003

Macintosh Digital Video List2/22/03 6:26 AMMacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com

> But I think I can
> now confirm that this patch will not help iDVD 3 work on a G3 Mac.

That is correct. I did install iDVD last night over the network (got your
advice, Kunga, but I had already dragged the app and help folders over and
into the drop box of a networked computer which worked fine - I later also
tested your instructions of letting the disc install over the network as
well) but the G3 grape iMac that I had hoped to run it on could not handle
it. It launched just fine but quit after a few seconds. So, the iMac and
beige G3 on my network will NOT be suitable iDVD workstations as I had
hoped. They will have to remain only 3/4 iLife compatible - which is still
fine for composing iMovie. The files will just have to come over to the G4
for burning.

I believe iDVD 3 is strictly made for G4. This means the iDVD patch we've
been excited about is still great but will only be helpful in creating
multiple workstations to those who have older lines of G4's in the house on
a network (and one Superdrive machine to finish the whole process).

Kathy